In current projects we follow the decomposition of wood in a large long-term experiment, the so called BELongDead experiment in Germany [link]. There we analyze changes of the molecular microbial community, their extracellular enzymes and changes in the decomposing wood (e.g. element content and lignin).
Accompanying, we isolate wood decomposing fungi and genome-sequencing them. Thus we gain molecular information, for example the number of genes potentially involved in lignocellulose decomposition.
Currently we also obtained funding for a project with Vietnamese partners.
In minor projects, partners from other Universities and I analyze microbial communities in soils (e.g. vinyard soils) or wood. We also started to analyze plant genomes.